Lice are tiny parasites that live on the scalp and hair shafts, they feed on blood. They spread on others who come in contact with the infected person. They are common among children who go to school, sports, sleepovers and other gatherings. They also get spread by sharing the cloths and brushes or lying on the same bed. The two most common signs of lice are itchy scalp and red bumps on the scalp. Here are some of the effective and chemical free easy home remedies for lice.
Best Home Remedies for Lice:
1.) Garlic for Lice
Garlic has a strong smell and also contain various anti-bacterial and anti fungal properties. This helps in preventing lice. The strong fragrance of garlic suffocate lice and ultimately kill them. Here is a simple way to use garlic to kill lice.
- Grind a few garlic cloves into a paste.
- Add two to three teaspoons of lime juice. Mix them well.
- Apply the mixture thoroughly onto the scalp.
- Leave it on for a half an hour and then rinse the hair thoroughly with hot water.
2.) Baby Oil for Lice
Another effective and easy natural treatment for head lice is baby oil. You can use it with laundry detergent and some white vinegar. It is believed that baby oil helps suffocate the head lice. Here is the simple process of using this for preventing and killing lice.
- Apply the adequate amount of baby oil on your hair.
- Comb your hair slowly so that lice start falling from your head.
- Wash your hair with laundry detergent and warm water.
- Before bed, apply white vinegar on your hair and cover your head with a shower cap or towel. Leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo and then apply some conditioner next day.
- Repeat this process for at least three to four days to get positive results.
3.) Indica for Lice
Indica leaves is one of the best remedies for lice. It is one type of natural insecticide and it safely removes the lice by killing them. You can buy a shampoo that includes idica oil or add several teaspoons of indica oil to your shampoo and start using. You can also boil some of the leaves of Indica and use the water to rinse your hair. On the other hand, yo can also add some indica leaves to coconut oil and warm them up together to apply on the scalp and the hair.
4.) Salt to Get Rid Of Lice
Salt is one of the easiest and available home remedies for lice. Salt can be used to eradicate head lice through desiccation. Here are the simple and easy steps to use salt for lice.
- Take one-quarter cup of salt.
- Add one-quarter cup of vinegar thoroughly. Mix them properly and pour this solution into a spray bottle.
- Gently spray the solution onto your hair so that it becomes slightly wet. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for about two hours.
- Then wash and condition your hair.
- Repeat this every three days to get positive results.
5.) Petroleum Jelly for Lice
Petroleum jelly can saturate your scalp. You can cover your hair with it as it has a stifling effect on roaming lice. Here is one of the easy home remedies for lice.
- Apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly to the scalp before going to bed.
- Use a shower cap or towel to cover your hair. Leave it on overnight.
- Next morning use the baby oil to remove the petroleum jelly.
- Comb your hair with a nit comb to remove the lice.
- Repeat this several nights in a row to get rid of lice.
6.) Tea Tree oil to Treat Lice Infestation
Tea tree oil also has the property of natural insecticide though it is an essential oil. This property has made this an effective treatment for head lice.
- Mix one teaspoon of tea tree oil to one ounce of natural shampoo.
- Add three tablespoons of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply the solution gently throughout your hair and cover your head with a shower cap or towel.
- After an hour or two, comb your hair with a nit comb to remove the dead lice. Later wash your hair and condition.
7.) Coating of Almond Or Olive For Lice
Did you know that almond or olive oil make are the excellent home remedies for lice? Both oils are smooth and are capable of suffocating the lice. The oil is heavy and helps to slow the lice and makes it easy to remove them. For this, you need to separate your hair into several smaller sections. Cover your nit comb with the oil and comb each section. Work in an area which is bright it makes easy to see clearly and be sure to frequently rinse the comb with running hot water. After combing wash your hair. For effective results do this every day for a week.
8.) Use Nit Comb for Lice
For kids who are below the age of 2, it is difficult to use other remedies or products for them you can use a fine nit comb and avoid medicated treatments. For best results, wet hair with a lubricant like a conditioner or petroleum jelly and comb out the entire hair two times each session and each three or four days to get rid of lice.