In this article, we are discussing how to prevent lice and some home remedies to treat it. Head lice are a common problem, especially with kids. Every mother prays and hopes that lice won’t happen to her kid. Well, this is not a big issue to be worried about as it does not carry any harmful disease. But getting rid of lice is not an easy task. With few simple home remedies, you can easily get rid of lice and prevent lice from coming back again and again.
How Do You Get Lice?
Lice are wingless insects that live on the scalp that lays an egg on your hair known as Nits. Head lice survive with blood from the human scalp and cannot survive once it falls off your head. It is more common in children aging 3-14.
Lice easily spread from person to person through contact with a person with lice hair, brushes, clothing, bedding, combs etc. It feels like something is crawling on the head, itchiness, red bumps on the scalp. It is important to get rid of lice fast.
How to Prevent Lice?
It’s important to prevent lice once you have treated it well. Nobody likes to have those creepy and ugly crawlies on your scalp. So follow the steps given below to prevent lice:
- Always know the symptoms of lice: Mostly lice can be found around ears and back of the neck section.
- Do not share your personal thing with affected person like bedding, hats, hairbands, pillows, clothes, comb, etc.
- Avoid contacting with an infectious person or stay away from them by maintaining some distance to prevent lice.
- To prevent lice get you or your kid checked regularly.
- If you find lice then wash your worn clothes regularly and frequently with hot water.
- Wash your hair care products with isopropyl alcohol to kill any lice. Let your comb, hair bands, headbands, etc soak in this solution to clean them properly.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Lice
1.) Vinegar to Treat Head Lice
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of lice fast at home. Vinegar consists of acetic acid that is beneficial to kill head lice naturally. It also helps eliminate head nits. To try this remedy follow the steps given below:
- Take some vinegar and mineral oil.
- Apply this mix to your scalp before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight.
- Next morning, comb your hair with a nit comb to remove dead lice.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- Repeat this method until you see some positive results.
2.) Mayonnaise to Remove Lice Fast
Mayonnaise is also a beneficial remedy to treat lice naturally. It helps suffocate lice and kill them. To try this method, follow the steps given below:
- Take some mayonnaise according to your hair length.
- Coat all your hair with mayonnaise.
- Leave this for 5-6 hours.
- Wash your hair with normal water and shampoo.
- Dry your hair with hair dryer.
- Comb your hair with a nit comb.
- Repeat this method, once or twice a week.
3.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Lice Naturally
This is an excellent home remedy to kill lice at home naturally. Coconut oil suffocates lice and kills them effectively. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take some coconut oil and warm it.
- Add camphor to it and mix it well.
- Apply this oil over your head and massage it into your scalp.
- Cover your head with a plastic bag or with a shower cap.
- Leave it overnight.
- Next morning, wash your hair with normal water and shampoo.
- After washing comb your hair to remove dead lice from your head.
- Repeat this method regularly to get rid of head lice fast.
4.) Onions to Kill Lice Fast
Onions are also a great source treat lice naturally. Onion is high in a sulfur content that helps kill head lice fast. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take 3-4 onions and blend them to make a paste.
- Just extract some juice of onion by squeezing the sieve in a thin cloth.
- Apply this juice over your hair and massage gently.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for 2-3 hours.
- Shampoo your hair with lukewarm water and shampoo.
- Once your hair is dry comb it with a nit comb to dead lice.
- Repeat this remedy regularly for few weeks for better results.
5.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Head Lice
Tea tree oil is also an effective remedy to remove head lice from your scalp. It also helps soothe your scalp due to itching. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Mix 2-3 teaspoon of tea tree oil in your shampoo.
- Now, wash your hair with this mixture.
- When dry, try using a comb to remove dead lice.
- Try this solution for few weeks or months to get rid of lice naturally.
Note: Be careful when using tea tree oil as it is quite strong.
6.) Lemon Juice to Prevent Lice at Home
You can also use lemon to treat lice naturally at home. It is helpful in treating lice fast because of its acidic properties. It also prevents lice infestation. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take out some lemon juice in a bowl.
- Apply this fresh lemon juice to your scalp and massage it well for few minutes.
- Keep it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with vinegar and lukewarm water.
- Repeat this method once or twice a week to kill lice as soon as possible.