Who does not like sun-kissed locks? They look so implacable and give you an instant makeover. The good news is, you don’t have to visit a hair salon for this job, you can lighten dark hair at home only. Below we have listed ways to lighten dark hair. The remedies are safe and budget friendly as well.
Ways to Lighten Dark Hair:
1.) Lemon Juice to Lighten Dark Hair
Lemon is one of the most popular hair lightening ingredients. It lightens the original color of the hair without damaging them.
- Mix a juice of one lemon with two tablespoons of water.
- Mix it thoroughly. Apply this solution on your damp hair.
- Make sure you cover every strand. Apply it from the roots to the end.
- After applying this solution sit in the sunlight for 20-25 minutes. The UV rays will trigger the lightening effect.
- Leave it on for 30-40 minutes before rinsing it.
- Do condition your hair after the rinse, since lemon tends to dry the hair.
2.) Chamomile Tea to Lighten Dark Hair
Like lemon juice, chamomile tea is an effective lightening agent. It will give you a few shades lighter hair. You can use any of the tea. However, chamomile is best among all.
- Heat a cup of water. Add a tablespoon of Chamomile tea leaves to it.
- Cover the bowl and steep it for a while.
- Let this solution get cool down enough to be applied.
- Shampoo your hair, condition them and rinse your hair with this solution.
- Leave it on the rinse for a while and then rinse your hair again with running water.
- Alternatively, pour the solution in the spray bottle. Spray the solution onto your dry hair and sit in the sunlight. Rinse it once it dries completely.
3.) Honey to Lighten Dark Hair
Honey is one of the common household product. From food to skin and hair, this ingredient can be used for multiple things. It has a moisturizing property. It is also one of the best natural hair lightening ingredients.
- In a cup of water, mix 2 tablespoons of honey thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture onto your hair, covering each strand.
- Leave it on for a few minutes until it completely dries then rinse your hair.
- Honey tends to be sticky so make sure, you remove it thoroughly. Use a mild or herbal shampoo.
4.) Rhubarb to Lighten Dark Hair
Many of you might not know about this. Rhubarb is a plant that you can grow in your kitchen garden. It is easily available in the market also. It has a lightening agent that gives a few shades lighter hair.
- Chop a small bunch of rhubarb. Boil a cup of water. Add chopped rhubarb into it.
- Leave it to boil for some time.
- After a few minutes when the solution is completely boiled, strain it and leave it aside to let it cool.
- Once this solution cools down to apply it on your hair.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it.
5.) Olive Oil to Lighten Dark Hair
Olive oil is a great moisturizer. In fact, it can also help you lighten the shade original shade of your hair naturally.
- Apply olive oil onto your hair. Leave it on for 30-40 minutes.
- Then rinse your hair followed by mild shampoo.
- For effective results, you can add a few drops of lemon juice to olive oil before applying it.
6.) Baking Soda to Lighten Dark Hair
Baking soda can be used in a number of ways for hair. It also works as natural hair lightening agent. It nourishes your scalp, absorbs the excess oil and keeps the bad odor at the bay.
- Mix one part of the baking soda with two parts of water thoroughly.
- Use this solution as a natural shampoo to wash your hair.
- Leave it on until it dries completely and then rinse it with running water.
7.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Lighten Dark Hair
Like baking soda, ACV is also a versatile remedy that can be used for fixing a number of hair problems. From head lice to dandruff and to get sun-kissed blond hair as well.
- In a cup of water mix ¼ of ACV.
- First shampoo your hair, then condition them and at last use the solution to rinse your hair.
- Leave the rinse on for a few minutes and then finally rinse it with the cold water.
8.) Cinnamon to Lighten Dark Hair
Cinnamon gives a nice flavor and smell to the food. But do you know you can also use it to lighten your hair naturally? Yes, it does this job effectively.
- Mix cinnamon powder into your conditioner and use it to condition your hair after washing them. Leave it on for a while and then rinse it.
- Alternatively, mix the cinnamon powder with henna, add some water to it, to get a thick mixture. Leave it on for 2-3 hours and then apply it your hair (avoiding the scalp). Leave it on for 3-4 hours and the rinse it.
9.) Salt to Lighten Dark Hair
Most of the time we avoid washing our hair with the salty water. But on some occasions, it’s worth washing. Like, if you want to get lighter hair color then wash your hair in the salty water. For this purpose swimming is also a nice idea.
- In a spray bottle mix some water and salt.
- Spray this solution on your entire head and length of the hair. Shake well the bottle before spraying the solution.
- Sit under the sunlight for a few minutes and then rinse it.
10.) Bleach to Lighten Dark Hair
You can also occasionally use bleach to lighten dark hair. Make sure that you use it very rare otherwise; it might damage your hair. And, make sure you use natural bleach.
- Mix powder bleach with the activator thoroughly. Read the crimp available with the bleach for the exact measurement.
- Apply this mixture onto your hair and leave it for the desired time. Then rinse your hair and use a purple shampoo to wash your hair.
- Bleach tends to dry hair so it’s better to wash and condition your hair before applying bleach.