Dandruff is a common chronic condition of scalp resulting to scalp disorder, rapid hair fall. Flaking of the skin. This skin disorder results to the itchy and irritating scalp. In modern days, it has become the common concern for almost everyone. Here in this article, we will try to know the common causes and the best home remedies for dandruff. Dandruff is contagious at times too and can be embarrassing at some points. The mild cases of dandruff are controllable and you can treat them on your own with some care and remedies. Let’s go through the causes of dandruff at first.
Causes of Dandruff
- Dry Skin– The most common cause of dandruff is the dry scalp. The flakes from dry skin are generally smaller and dry, this is the common symptom. You might see the same symptom on your skin, especially on your leg and hand.
- Oily Skin– Oily scalp is also a common cause of dandruff, you will notice red greasy skin covered with flakes. The flakes may be white or yellow in color.
- Use of Chemicals– The hair products like shampoo and hair color are concentrated with a heavy dose of harmful chemicals. The regular or frequent use of this product washed away the moisture from your scalp which results to dry scalp.
- Not Taking Proper Hair Wash– When your scalp is a storehouse of oil you need to get proper hair wash at the proper time. The oil might result to irritated and when mixed with external unwanted particles may cause infection on your scalp.
- Scalp infection– This is a common cause for most of the adults. This condition is also called as Malassezia. The infection may be a yeast-like fungal infection resulting to dandruff it kills extra cells and makes them fall in forms of flakes.
- Poor Diet– If your intake of the zinc and vitamin B or other fatty acids and omega 3 acids are low you will face this scalp infection. They are essential for you to get healthy scalp and hair.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
1.) Neem for Dandruff
Neem leaves scientifically known as ‘Azadirachta Indica’. It has medicinal properties like antibacterial, anti-microbial and be lots more. The leaf is considered as a skin medicine. You can use it for fungal infections. Dandruff is mostly considered to be mostly because attributed to the fungal colonization of scalp. Under such condition, the extract of this leaf can be the ultimate home remedy for dandruff. Here are a simple and easy way to use this leaf for this purpose.
- Pluck fresh leaves of neem.
- Wash it off to drain the unwanted external particles on the leaves.
- Boil a hand full of the leaf in four cups of water. Boil until the water level comes down to half.
- Cool down and drain the solution.
- You can add a few drop of your essential oil.
- Use this water to rinse your hair thrice a week to get rid of dandruff.
2.) Lemon and Oil Home Remedies for Dandruff
The beneficial properties of the coconut and olive oil are helpful to solve this scalp disorder. If your scalp is too dry or you are having this scalp condition you can go for this oil to eliminate dandruff and cure the anti-fungal properties. It moisturizes your scalp and relieves you from the itchy scalp. The lemons, on the other hand, has acidic features which destroy the yeast or fungus on your scalp.
- Take the adequate amount of coconut or olive oil. The adequate amount depends on the length of your hair.
- Warm this oil a bit, make sure not to burn the oil this will destroy the beneficial properties. If you are using the microwave you need to just warm the oil place it for a couple of minutes.
- Let the oil cool down and apply the oil on your scalp and oil.
- Add a few drop of 8-10 drops of lemon and mix them well.
- Use your fingers to give a gentle massage your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a towel and after 30-40 minutes wash it off.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Dandruff
This is one of the best home remedies to get treat dandruff naturally at home. Apple cider is effective on the scalp as it attacks and kills the inhibiting yeast on your scalp. It also helps restore the PH balance. Apple cider is also a natural cleanser which helps to clean the clogged pores and hair follicles.
- Take equal amount of apple cider and water dissolve them.
- Add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil and mix them well.
- Apply the solution on your scalp and massage it using your fingers in circular motion.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes, wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
4.) Aloe Vera Home Remedies for Dandruff
Aloe vera is one of the great remedies for dandruff. It is said to be the natural moisturizer, the gel in the leaves of the aloe vera plant helps you to exfoliate the scalp and skin. Moreover, it had anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. The thick gel is transparent and perfect for external and internal use. It gives you relief from the inflation and dandruff. Here is the best way for using the gel.
- Get a fresh piece of aloe vera leaf and cut it to extract the gel from the leaf.
- Take out the gel and rub it on your scalp. Apply an even layer of the gel on your scalp and hair.
- Let the herb settle down and after 20-30 minutes wash your hair. You might not need a shampoo. To wash it off.
- For those who have not planted an aloe vera plant can use aloe vera juice to get rid of dandruff. Use an equal amount of water and aloe vera juice to rinse your hair.
5.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
Baking soda is one of the best home remedies for dandruff. You can easily find it in your kitchen. The exfoliating properties of the powder help to remove the dead skin and also absorbs the extra oil on your scalp. Baking soda also reduces the growth of fungal infection and maintains the pH level in your scalp. Here is a simple way you can use as one of the best home remedies for dandruff.
- Wash your hair or spray water on your hair.
- Rub a handful of baking soda onto your scalp.
- Wash your hair after 2 minutes.
- Do remember not to use shampoo for next 72 hours you use baking soda for your hair.
- On the other hand, you can also use the powder with your shampoo while getting a hair wash.